Music : A perception

In my urge to discover new music, I have been listening unashamedly. Some of the artists I have chanced upon recently include Fleet Foxes, Yeasayer, Neutral Milk Hotel, Black Lips and Death Cab for a Cutie. While they are undoubtedly very listen-able, there is an extent to which I am able to connect with this music.

After spending days trying to make palaver with these bands, I have come up with an analogy that good music is a lot like coca-cola in green bottles.

They don't make it anymore.

I was stating this opinion to a friend when he retorted that I am too close minded when it comes to music. I compare everything to Zeppelin and Floyd.

"Yes, I do", I replied. Because Zeppelin and Floyd are my music gods. They made the sort of music that gets me high. I don't expect everything to be that great. Or even in the same league. But when it comes to music, I have a definition of "Class". For me, the highest standard is Zeppelin and Floyd, and anything that comes remotely close, is good.

I guess music is the sort of thing you must be passionate about. Good music can set you free. That's probably the reason why people carry the attitude of their music - be it the aggression of heavy metal, the gothness of Death Metal or the slackness of Classic Rock. When it is something you really love, you form strong opinions of what is real music. I, indeed, am one of those people who has a strong opinion on music. I usually make up mind about what is a true creative attempt. And what is pretentious.

As a consequence, it is sometimes difficult for me to understand people who can listen to any kind of music. And even if I do make that effort, I cannot help wondering if it isn't at the least necessary to have an idea of what you are passionate about? Having that teensy little thing you love more than everything else?

It is good to be passionate about things. Be it music. Or movies. Or even a philosophy. I guess what I am trying to say is, one has to really love a form of art.

It is a beautiful way to live.

9 comments:

srikant said...

people who listen to anything are broadminded... They understand that music is music...

people who dont are narrow minded...they categorize music into different packages and listen to the same thing over and over...

Nothing but "Ficus" said...

If you don't love anything or hate anything, you could have been an invertebrate animal. Only invertebrates don't have taste buds. Do you want to be an invertebrate, Srikant?

Listen to everything. But please, for God's sake, be passionate about something.

I rest my case.

Proma said...

I've been discovering music over the ears as well like you. Everything from Bade ghayals and dhrupad of Bhimsen Joshi, to Sufi songs, the Rai musicians of Africa, Rock and Roll from Aerosmith,Zeppelin,Guns and Roses,Def Leppard and the lik.. Heavy Metal was a chance discovery right after my divorce. And I found solace in it then but have been hooked to the masters of HM: Metallica,Iron Maiden and the rest.

I would say that just because you like Floyd and Zeppelin now , doesn't mean that through your lifetime you always will end up liking music "like" theirs. Life is going to a long journey and you never know what you would meet on the way. That said, I have not seen anyone that doesn't still love the music in their 50s that they did in their 20s. so floyd would tag along.

Also, I find a great deal of intersection in music genres these days. Fusion is not a new phenomenon but experimentation in general is a growing trend nowadays.

Dead can Dance is a great example. While they cannot be accurately tagged under a genre, I have found ample traces of high quality Indian classical and folk hidden in their music. Here is a group that are as much explorers as they are musicians.
I feel that as listeners , we should try to be the same.

srikant said...

a music critic has to listen to everything...

Nothing but "Ficus" said...

You are not a music critic. Neither am I.

So shut the fuck up, Donny.

Nothing but "Ficus" said...

Proma: Over the ears! Omg, was that intentional? If yes, it is good. Very good. BTW, I would be very interested in the "Bade ghayals and dhrupad of Bhimsen Joshi". My only tryst with Classical Indian music is "Sounds Of India" by Pandit Ravi Shankar.

And I agree - change and growth with music is inevitable, and what I am attempting. But having a parameter for evaluation helps - Zeppelin and Floyd is the high part of my scale (though not necessary the end of the scale), and the lowest point is Britney Spears. I give Anu Malik more credit.

Arundhati said...

I think music is largely dictated by mood you are in, while one does have favourites, you may appreciate one kind of music better when you are in the mood for it. But there are things I don't even want to venture into, may be im not much of an experimentalist....

Proma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Proma said...

Don't want to be a music critic and die early :)

Over the ears was not intentional but I noticed it but decided to keep it like that !

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL